My nails can get really dry and brittle during the winter, and as I'm really bad with nail varnish, the white lines and cracked surface is often on show - Not a good look. (Bottom left)
I've tried a few different routines to try and get them in shape and I think I've finally got one which works well for me. Now I have to admit I'm not huge on doing my nails and I don't do this routine often (I'm talking about once a month here!) but when I do do this, I can tell the difference straight away, and they feel a lot stronger and last a few weeks before becoming brittle again.
I think I'll do these in easy numbered steps..
- I file down my nails so they are the perfect curve. Some people can go really wrong when it comes to this step, as they either file too much and end up with skin showing or too little and tonnes of dirt and bacteria will nestle there. For the perfect length, you want a bit of white showing, but not enough so that when you look at your fingers palm side up you can see them.
- I buff over the surface of the nail to remove ridges, white lines/cracks and finally to help strengthen the nail. To buff I use a nail block. The one pictured is from TIGER in Westfield shopping city, however I've also got one from Elf at £1.50 which is just as good.
- The nail block is numbered, and I just follow the steps round. So after Filing (1) and Buffing (2) there is two levels of shine. I start with 3 and then end on 4. It's the same method as buffing, but its smooth surface means that it leaves the nail stronger and shiny.
- Next, I will put on a nail nourishment oil. These oils will really strengthen your nails and often have vitamins and substances which will really protect them. I just put a bit on each nail, massage it in and leave for roughly ten minutes, or until it is soaked in. The one pictured is from Gok Wan's collection, and has unfortunately been discontinued, however I've heard that O.P.I's Replenishing oil £16.50 is good too.
- Finally I put a layer of varnish on! If I'm not in the mood for a splash of colour, I use a clear top coat such as Barry M's Clear varnish at £2.99. I think it helps to protect it, and if it doesn't it gives them a nice shine anyway!
Thank you for reading - Any suggestions or comments are appreciated! :) xx









No comments:
Post a Comment